Recommended Books | Conferences/Societies | Similar Programs
- Chiu, C.Y. and Hong, Y.Y. (2006). The Social Psychology of Culture. New York: Psychology Press.
- Cole, Michael. (1996). Cultural Psychology: A once and future discipline . Harvard University Press.
- Heine, Steven. (2007). Cultural Psychology. New York: Norton.
- Hirschfeld, Lawrence A., & Gelman,
Susan A. (Eds.) (1994). Mapping
the Mind: Domain Specificity in Cognition and Culture. Cambridge
An edited volume that serves as a strong introduction to how regularities of conceptual structures undergird knowledge acquisition across domains and thereby constrain culture. Chapters or the whole text may be used to introduce important issues in conceptual development and the interplay between cognitive biases and environmental inputs. Appropriate for advanced undergraduates, graduates, and faculty.
- Sperber, Dan. (1996). Explaining Culture: A
Naturalistic Approach. Blackwell Publishers.
A collection of essays exploring how regularities of the human mind constrain the communication or transmission of ideas, and thus begin to account for why cultural knowledge is the way it is. Chapters or the whole text may be used to introduce fundamental ideas in culture and cognition. Appropriate for advanced undergraduates, graduates, and faculty.
- Tomasello, Michael. (1999). The Cultural
Origins of Human Cognition. Harvard University Press.
This authored text clearly and convincingly develops both the biological and cultural heritage of the human mind using comparative, evolutionary, and developmental evidence. Appropriate for undergraduates, graduates, and faculty.
- Journal of Cognition and Culture
- Mind & Society
- Mind, Culture, and Activity
- Society for Research in Child Development
- Piaget Society
- Human Behavior and Evolution Society
- Cultural Psychology Pre-conference, Society of Personality and Social Psychology
- International Association for Cross-Cultural Psychology
- Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues
- Center for Culture, Mind, and the Brain
- Culture, Social Justice and Human Development - Boston College
- Culture, Language, and Cognition - Northwestern University
- Department of Comparative Human Development - University of Chicago
- CogWeb at UCLA
- Culture, Brain, and Development - UCLA
- Center for Evolutionary Psychology at UC Santa Barbara
- Culture and Human Development - University of Saskatchewan, CANADA
- The Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology, GERMANY
- The Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics, THE NETHERLANDS
- Institute on Cognition and Culture – Queen’s University, Belfast, UK
- MSc/DPhil in Cognitive and Evolutionary Anthropology – University of Oxford, UK
- The Institute Nicod at the Ecole Normale Superieure and the Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales in Paris, FRANCE